Saturday, January 8, 2011

4 Perfect Concerts (2011)

To pass the time a work today I decided to craft the ultimate, most perfect potential concerts that 2011 could contrive. Not that any of 'em will happen...

Roger Waters performs 'the Final Cut'

Ideal venue: State Theatre in State College, Pennsylvania

-- I've had a handful of albums that I've considered my favorite, many of them simultaneously. But only one of them has really held it's spot without wavering. There's something special about The Final Cut, and it deserves to be reproduced in concert at least once. Not the extravagant affair of The Wall tour, but something tasteful and subdued. Perhaps even just one performance, with a very high ticket price, just for the diehards like myself. The State Theatre is an intimate little venue where I saw The Machine play, as well as many movies (including Into the Wild). I wouldn't even mind if there was no encore at all for this gig, while the lack of an encore really turned me off about The Wall shows (not that I witnessed it personally).

Miranda Cosgrove with Jennette McCurdy opening

Ideal venue: The Carnegie Library of Homestead

-- As much of a synergistic no-brainer as this may seem, I highly doubt this could ever happen. Partly due to the fact that they play very different styles of music, and perhaps more importantly due to the ire it would likely cause among fans who feel Jennette should be headlining. Most unfortunate of all, it may even be cause for dispute between Miranda and Jennette themselves, who (quite tragically) may not be the best of friends.

But here at Zenlike Immaturity, we like to dream big, and few things could please me more than seeing both of these powerhouse artists on the same bill. I'm certain seeing Jennette's wonderful songs performed live would be a sight to behold, given her proven singing chops (I actually like her live singing MORE than on the record), and the potential for her more organic/instrumentally-styled music to flesh itself out (i.e. fingers crossed for extended guitar solos). And Miranda's live performance appears to be an epiphany of its own. I mean, I listen to her music all the damn time, it's some of my favorite music ever... but when I actually see her up there, belting out BAM or Disgusting live (on Youtube), it's like a slap to the face. She really IS this consequential creature, this artist commanding presence and power. Or... in the modern dialect.... I like her swag. I haven't even been to the Homestead Library yet, but it seems it'll be just about the smallest venue I've ever seen a mainstream show at, and I want to be as close up as possible for this gig.

Mudcrutch with Paramore opening

Ideal venue: First Niagra Pavillion

-- I believe steadfastly that Tom Petty is as good now as he ever has been. The only problem is, he's holding himself back. Tom vehemently refuses to allow The Heartbreakers a chance at showing the true glory of their catalog, but he once embarked on a small club tour with Mudcrutch that included none of the regular fair. What the world needs now is for Petty to reconvene Mudcrutch and give them the keys to his vast collection. To hear them gear up their double lead guitar attack and tear through such electric jams as 'Good Enough,' such staggering deep cuts as 'Supernatural Radio,' and such neglected hits as 'Anything That's Rock N Roll,' it would be beyond spectacular.

And for a Tom Petty opener, no band could be more adept than Paramore. There are no two bands in my personal pantheon that make for closer kin than they (though just as close, perhaps). They both throw uplifting love-based hooks at you with as much fury as an electric guitar can muster. As for the venue, something about Petty and First Niagra (PGP, Starlake) just fits with Petty. Plus, in all honesty, I can't imagine seeing Paramore anywhere other than an open air arena. Dunno why.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse with Taylor Swift opening

Ideal venue: Mr. Small's

-- Might seem like an odd combo at first, but keep in mind that when I saw Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Lucinda Williams was the opener. I'm not sure I could think of a single concert more satisfying than the coupling of Taylor's stark pop and the lucid rock of Crazy Horse. She has her share of rockier numbers, particularly on her latest effort, and I'd like to think a slot opening for Neil & The Horse would bring out the best in her. Unfortunately, probably the only barrier to a show like this actually happening is the fact that Taylor's ultra-stardom would prevent her from taking such a slot.

Taylor's gotta open with 'Better Than Revenge' and powerhouse through a hodgepodge of her new tracks plus 3 or 4 of her biggest hits from her first 2 albums. Neil's set could go any number of ways and still leave me more than half believing I hallucinated the whole thing because it's just too good to be true. My classic Crazy Horse set would be the ultimate 90s show, featuring tracks from Sleeps With Angels, Broken Arrow, and Mirror Ball, bookended by classic cuts from Ragged Glory. My most recent dream set for Neil & The Horse is more of an eclectic affair, with no two tracks coming from any one album. I would also flip it if he just came out and played Landing on Water. As for the venue, Mr. Small's can be cramped (there's no seats, for one thing), but whenever I imagine Neil, it's always there. Just the way the energy bounces off the walls... I feel like it'd be the best place for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment