Monday, February 10, 2014

The Coffee Den Legacy

Now that I have a large iPod, I've been adding my huge CD collection to my computer. And I've been finding a lot of cool stuff I haven't listened to since I was a teenager.

One of my favorites is a duo of playlists I put together collecting all the best of the local music from around town. A lot of these CDs were totally "whatever" to me back in the day, because these were songs that I heard every couple of weeks at the Coffee Den's open stage -- why do I need them on CD? But 7, 8 years later it means a lot to me that I can have these tracks and that I'll always have them, even when I'm 80.

Cold Coffee

1. Wary -- The Primatives
2. When You Dance (I Can Really Love) -- The Primatives
3. I Am A Child -- The Primatives
4. Bridge of Sighs -- Zharth
5. Simpleton in Complex -- Guitar Zack & No Slack
6. Heal Forever -- The Rhodora
7. Toast to Life and Love -- Ron Boone
8. Liquid -- Cathasaigh
9. Drinking Herself Away -- Cale Darnielle
10. The Dragon's Song -- The Primatives
11. Never Again -- The Primatives
12. The Ballad of One Time -- The Primatives


Warm Tea

1. The Messiah Will Come Again -- Zharth
2. Lonely -- Winston Cook-Wilson
3. Love, Blood & Grace -- Mark Gramm
4. Sorry -- The Primatives
5. Needle For My Child -- Ron Boone
6. War -- Baghead
7. Whisper -- A Vulcan Circus
8. It's Not Easy Being Nude -- Ron Boone
9. Born a Stranger -- Mark Muretisch
10. Born Again -- Cathasaigh
11. How Do You Feel? -- The Rhodora
12. Mental Health Alternatives -- Bert Moore
13. Here Come The Primitives -- The Primatives


Thanks to my influx of refurbished old music, I've been able to put together other unique playlists as well. For me, playlists are pivotal. They aren't just something I might listen to once and then toss away, playlists have replaced the album-oriented culture that I grew up with. I return to them again and again over many years, likely for the rest of my life. So I've put a lot of work into making these as good as possible.

Here's one I did as a collection of the best OST and Background music... well, as far as the action/adventure genre goes. I was considering doing a more far-reaching thing but a lot of the good anime songs aren't available on iTunes (like, say S.E. Lains' theme). But either way, I still would have made this collection as well. It flows really well together despite its disparate sources.

Porunga's Vox

1. Cha-La HEAD Cha-La (Full Version) [Dragon Ball Z Theme]
2. Prologue & Subtitle I [Dragon Ball Z]
3. To The City, Artifical Humans [Dragon Ball Z]
4. Hardboiled...Afraid (Separate Ways) [The Legend of Korra]
5. Mind Power -- Kageyama Hironobu & Satou Yuka [Dragon Ball Z insert song]
6. The Monster Freeza vs. Super Saiyan Son Goku [Dragon Ball Z]
7. Makafushigi Adventure (TV Edit) [Dragon Ball Theme]
8. Battle to the Death ("Atma Weapon") [Final Fantasy 6]
9. "Satan's Lament" [DOOM]
10. Terra [Final Fantasy 6]
11. Come Out, Incredible ZENKAI Power! (TV Edit) [Dragon Ball Z Ending]
12. Korra Confronts Tarrlok [The Legend of Korra]
13. Fresh Air [The Legend of Korra]
14. Prologue [The Legend of Korra]
15. Rock the Dragon [DBZ Ocean Dub Theme]


Here's one where I collected all my favorite melancholic, bittersweet ruminations.

Contemplation

1. Eet -- Regina Spektor
2. Caught in the Hustle -- Immortal Technique
3. Atlantic City -- Bruce Springsteen
4. The King of Carrot Flowers, Pt 1 -- Neutral Milk Hotel
5. Visions of Johanna -- Bob Dylan
6. No Surrender -- Bruce Springsteen
7. Parting Gift -- Fiona Apple
8. You Know You're Right -- Nirvana
9. When I Die -- GG Allin
10. Nobody Home -- Pink Floyd
11. Two-Headed Boy -- Neutral Milk Hotel
12. Signs of Age -- Jake Holmes
13. High Hopes -- Pink Floyd

No comments:

Post a Comment