Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pop 7: Liberation Jingles

Well, it's here! The seventh volume of my now-mamoth series where I cull great odds and ends pop tracks which I run into randomly through my daily life (often at work, on TV or on the radio). With this being the fifth volume of the year, I suspect I'll take a chill pill and wait a bit before the next one.

Pop 7

1. Hollaback Girl -- Gwen Stefani
2. Daughter -- Pearl Jam
3. What the Hell -- Avril Lavigne
4. I Don't Want to be a Bride -- Vanessa Carlton
5. Hair -- Lady Gaga
6. Criminal -- Fiona Apple
7. Lights (Bassnecter Remix) -- Ellie Goulding
8. I Know What Boys Like -- The Waitresses
9. White Wedding -- Billy Idol
10. Smile -- Avril Lavigne
11. Superman -- Taylor Swift
12. Here We Go Again -- Demi Lovato
13. Love You Like a Love Song (Dave Aude Club Mix) -- Selena Gomez
14. Criminal (Single version) -- Britney Spears

Named it "Liberation Jingles" after I realized I had unwittingly stacked the set with a variety of songs featuring empowerment themes: romantic liberation in What The Hell, I Don't Want to be a Bride, and I Know What Boys Like, and interpersonal liberation in Daughter, Hollaback Girl and Hair. I almost called it "Year of Pop" since this will be the last edition of the Pop series I make in 2011, which has been the year of pop for me. But I didn't want to cap it off as though 2012 won't necessarily be another incredible year of pop in its own right. Also, in preparation for my 2011 year end lists I've been looking into a lot of the highest rank albums I've missed out on. I get the best albums in full, but sometimes only one or two fantastic tracks will habitate an otherwise unnecessary album, so several of those tracks wound up here. They make up more than half the album, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment