Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pop 6: Dark Billboards

Heyoooo. I've been jamming on this for weeks but I forgot to post it. I like to keep track of when I make these things so I know when I became interested in certain artists.

Pop 6

1. Skyscraper -- Demi Lovato
2. In The Dark -- Dev
3. Pocketful of Sunshine -- Natasha Bedingfield
4. Intuition -- Jewel
5. On The Floor -- Jennifer Lopez feat. Pitbull
6. Shots -- LMFAO feat. Lil Jon
7. Promiscuous -- Nelly Furtado feat. Timbaland
8. Electric Feel -- Katy Perry
9. Livin' The Vida Loca -- Ricky Martin
10. I Wanna Go -- Britney Spears
11. Friday -- Rebecca Black
12. Hold It Against Me -- Britney Spears
13. Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites -- Skrillex
14. Stay Here Forever -- Jewel

Pretty good set. Probably better than Pop 5 and Pop 2 but not as good as Pop 4 or Pop 1.

This time it's a very dark, mysterious and cool set of songs. Other than the tension breakers, it's nothing but slow paced, moody dance songs featuring bizarre organ riffs and accordion solos and all kinds of spooky things. Decent contrast compared to the bombastic fare I usually go for.

Oh and the "Billboards" thing is a refernce to Billboard Magazine and their weekly charts, because I'm starting to get some of my compi tracks from them. For the first 4 or 5 editions of 'Pop,' virtually every track came from music I hear at work. Where I work features this eclectic playlist and since I hear it 40 hours a week, I get to weed out the really incredible tracks pretty easily. Not only did it inspire my initial interest in pop, but it also was the sole inspiration for my love of Taylor Swift and Katy Perry! Not to mention giving Ke$ha and Miri a good nudge in my direction. Good times, good times, but lately they haven't been playing as much new music, so I've been looking elsewhere. I still owe them a debt of gratitude, though!

1 comment:

  1. I think I saw a Ke$ha music video at the food court in the mall last weekend, except I could have sworn she was singing a Miley Cyrus song...

    ReplyDelete